As a mom who has struggled with my weight for what seems like FOREVER, I worry about the habits I will pass on to my children. I have been working hard to make better decisions and to help our family establish healthy habits. One of the things that I have found to be most difficult is incorporating exercise into our daily lives. I’ve looked for ways to make exercise fun and to get our family into better shape. This is what I have found works for us.
1. Set a common goal. Our family goal is to be able to jog for 30 minutes consecutively. We’re not even close to that yet, but we are working toward it.
2. Develop a reasonable plan to reach that goal. We are using the Couch to 5K program, also known as C25K. It starts slow and gradually builds from there.
3. Incorporate “play” into your routine. Spend an evening at the tennis courts or basketball courts. Play wiffle ball. Decide to go to the gym as a family. We went to the gym as a family last night and it was quite fun.
4. Come up with a bad weather plan. It’s hard to stick to any plan when it’s nasty and cold and rainy outside. Decide ahead of time what you will do if it’s cold, rainy, etc. Maybe for your family, you want to set a “temperature” limit. We’ll be outside unless it’s colder than 32 degree or whatever it is that works for you.
5. Make it fun! Take a family walk or jog to a local park and let the kids play when you get there. Go for a long bike ride and stop for frozen yogurt on the way home.
6. Sprinkle some water in the mix. With summer approaching, community’s will start opening up their outdoor pools. This is a great way to get exercise in. Don’t have access to a pool? That’s OK. Have a water balloon fight. Get out the squirt guns and chase each other around the yard. Turn on the hose and run through the sprinkler. Your options are plentiful!
I’m always looking for new ideas! What do you do to incorporate fitness into your family routine?
This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday.