I have a confession to make. Sometimes I give my money more generously than I give my time. While it’s not a bad thing to give money, it’s not a good thing to be stingy about giving of your time. Sometimes I don’t go out of my way to help people like I should because it’s inconvenient or I feel awkward and so I give money to assuage my guilt.
Since today is Pay It Forward Day, I thought I’d put together a short list of things you can do today to make a positive difference in the life of someone else. Some of these require time, some require money, some require a little of both.
- Drop off a meal for a new mom or a family who’s recently adopted.
- Drop a card in the mail and encourage someone going through a rough time.
- Pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru.
- Write a note to your child’s teacher thanking them for their investment in your child.
- Offer your mailman a bottle of water or a cup of coffee.
- Make cookies or brownies and deliver them to your local police or fire department.
- Put together a basket of goodies from your stockpile and drop them off to a family in need.
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn.
- Visit a nursing home in your area and bring flowers to someone who doesn’t get many visitors.
- Donate books to the library.
- Volunteer to help a neighborhood child with homework.
- Read to a child.
- Read to an elderly person.
- Sponsor a child through Compassion. The children we sponsor have the same birthdays as our daughters.
If you’re looking for ways to make a difference online, consider setting up your own giving foundation with GiveBack. GiveBack allows you to give money to the causes you care about – and they make it easy to donate. You can make a donation directly from your credit card, shop with any of 400+ online mall partners and earn up to 15% of each purchase, or engage with the GiveBack sponsors and earn more for your foundation.
You can also join Click To Give. Click to Give allows you to select which great cause you’d like to help from their menu. Click on the ‘Click to Give’ button associated with each organization and a click is then registered in the Click to Give system of which every dollar made by the advertising shown, goes directly to that charity you were wanting to help. You’ll be able to track the impact that your clicks are having and you’ll also get points for clicking that you can redeem for free merchandise!
Do you have plans to pay it forward today? Do you have other suggestions to make a positive difference?