I’m all about dinners that are easy to throw together and healthy too! And if they can be thrown in a slow cooker, that’s a bonus. On busy days, it’s so nice to come home to find dinner ready to go! This Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls Recipe is one of those recipes! It’s a totally easy to make recipe and it’s gluten-free too! It’s the perfect recipe for cold winter days!
Also, this is one of those recipes that is great for using up the meat you have in your fridge or freezer. This recipe calls for 2 pounds of meat. I usually use 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of pork, but you can mix it up. You can use bison or sausage or ground turkey if that’s what you have on hand! I would recommend using 2 pounds of meat total though.
Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls Ingredients:
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 2 lbs meat (any of the following or a combination of ground beef, sausage, pork, turkey, or bison)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ white onion, diced finely
- 1 & 1/2 cups of rice (rice does not need to be precooked)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/4 – 1 tsp black pepper (I hate pepper so if I’m making it for myself I don’t use any but my family likes it so if I’m making it for them I add some pepper )
- 8 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz tomato paste
Crock Pot Cabbage Rolls Directions:
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. To prepare the cabbage for rolling, lightly boil it whole and peel the leaves off a few at a time. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place in the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. As the leaves soften, you can peel them off with a spoon or pair of tongs.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of coconut oil , add the onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Combine the onion and rice with the meat, and mix by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.Take a cabbage leaf, concave side up with the stem toward you, and place a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end.
- Take a cabbage leaf, concave side up with the stem toward you, and place a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end.
- Then roll forward, fold the sides in and end with the seam down.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce in a bowl. Put about 1 cup in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Lay the cabbage rolls in with the seam side down. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture once the slow cooker is full.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.