Looking for an easy, healthy dinner idea? You need to make this Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Recipe!
We love us some broccoli at our house! My teenage son often chooses broccoli over french fries when we got out to dinner. So any recipe that includes broccoli is a good one in our opinion.
This recipe is easy to make and I often change it up based on what I already have at home.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
- 8 ounces of pasta – I used rotini as my kids prefer rotini or penne in this recipe
- 12 oz of broccoli – I used frozen cut broccoli for this casserole, but you could use fresh.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (or use 1/2 cup chopped onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (You can also use vegetable stock or bone broth.)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I won’t judge if you use more.)
- 1 pound diced cooked chicken (sometimes I use chicken from a rotisserie chicken, sometimes I use leftover grilled chicken, and sometimes I use frozen grilled chicken)
Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli & Pasta…YUM!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente. If you are using fresh or frozen broccoli, you can add the broccoli to the pasta 2-3 minutes before it’s done. This will save you from having to wash another pan. (You’re welcome!) When pasta and broccoli are done, drain and set aside. You can also use steam-in-bag broccoli if you don’t want to worry about overcooking the pasta or undercooking the broccoli.
In a large saute pan, melt the butter or oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic mixture and stir until combined.
Cook for an additional 1 minute. Slowly add in the stock, and stir everything
together until mostly smooth and clumps are gone.
Add in the milk, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper and stir until fully combined.
Continue to cook the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove the sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until thoroughly melted and combined.
Add the noodles and broccoli to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
Add the chicken and cheese sauce. Toss until combined.
Even out the ingredients in the casserole dish and make it look nice and pretty!
Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven,
sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole, and
bake for 10 more minutes until the cheese is melted!